Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Plastic Man

Tonight I did Jiu-Jitsu for the second straight night for the first time ever.

Last night I didn't feel like I got the workout I wanted. There were the usual practices and drills, but when it came time to roll I got paired up with the instructor, who's usually more interested in watching what other people do. So I had to goad him a little to get his full attention, and when I said he couldn't tap out a pair of tap shoes he tackled me and gave me a rug burn across my jaw with the sleeve of his gi.

Tonight we were but four: myself, another student, the instructor and his assistant. The other student and I drilled while the teachers talked, and then around 8:30, she paired up with the assistant instructor and I got to roll with the big dog again, this time with his full attention. We worked it hard for thirty minutes. Every time, he locked up an arm or a leg and twisted it just the right way, or he got a solid hold on the collar of my gi and threw on a choke. At one point he rolled up the end of his gi and wrapped it around my neck.

But it was a great workout. He wins every time, but I push hard and try not to tap until I'm pretty sure he's going to break my arm.

Right now it's snowing. Tiny flakes are falling quickly, blowing sideways and upways and downways with the wind, making the world seem quiet and calm. I will wake up at 5 tomorrow and shovel the sidewalks and stairs. Then I will spread the salt around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home