THE LUKES' TOP TEN
I thought I'd bring back the old standby:
1. THE OFFICE. I think this might be my favorite show, ever. It's definitly my favorite sit-com. They did two , six episode seasons and a Christmas special later on. All of them are really good, but the first season is fucking great.
2. Sun Kil Moon . Alt-country band. Some really good songs.
3. Skoal chewing tobacco. I'm trying to quit smoking. I've recently decided that it's incredibly vile and vulgar to smoke . I've settled on the classy alternative; a fat lip full of chaw. I really like chewing and it's provided enough savory nicotine to get me through the day. Hopefully it won't be quite so hard to quit chewing..
I like the Wintergreen long cut.
4. The Dungeon ( or Donjon in its original French) comic series by Joann Sfar and Lewis Trondheim . My Mom picked up the first two French comic albums for me while on a recent trip to see my Sister and Her Boyfriend in France. They're the perfect eye candy. Great cartooning- loose and playfull but solid and dynamic at the same time. The colors too!- My god they are beautiful. The US translations are just coming out now. This series is incredibly popular in France and has spawned a huge number of spin-offs . They've done it in a very cool way however- a series has been released that begins at # 1000 or something like that. They've promised a full, chronological run that will eventually tie it all together.
5. The Residents. I never really got them before, but I like them now. Perfect cartoon music.
6. The Avengelist by David Sandlin. I love David Sandlins' art, but didn't know he did comics. This one concerns the construction of a heaven far above the clouds by good Christian CEOS and thier offspring. The heaven is defended by THE AVENGELISTS, a superhero team who goes on to discover the truth about this perfect society.
It's told in a very slap-dash way; Sandlin isn't concerned with things like plotting or character decelpoment. This is a different kind of beast entirely. He's far more concerned with the over-all concept. I like this method a bunch. I mean, we all can't be Chris Ware, you know? There is this general trend right now in indie-comics that's about eschweing things like detail and flashy drawing in favor of simple, iconic figures. But what about those people that can really draw but maybe aren't interested in 'organic cartooning' or 'pure comics'? I think comics can be an equally valuable medium for those guys too. Why not?
p.s- I got the newsprint edition, but plan on getting the 'real' deal one, so if anybody wants the Newsprint, lemme know.
7. UniBall pens. I like the Black.
8. Sleep.
9. How I get to miss Christmas this year. I'm really not a fan of Christmas.Yeah, it's pretty much the whole crass comercialism deal that bugs me. Beth has to work, so I get to stay home alone. I like the idea of a traditional , old-timey,Christmas celebration, not this golden-calf, fill your life with garbage deal.
10. The woods. I desperatley miss having access to nature. Madison seems like a nature preserve compared to our new digs.
1. THE OFFICE. I think this might be my favorite show, ever. It's definitly my favorite sit-com. They did two , six episode seasons and a Christmas special later on. All of them are really good, but the first season is fucking great.
2. Sun Kil Moon . Alt-country band. Some really good songs.
3. Skoal chewing tobacco. I'm trying to quit smoking. I've recently decided that it's incredibly vile and vulgar to smoke . I've settled on the classy alternative; a fat lip full of chaw. I really like chewing and it's provided enough savory nicotine to get me through the day. Hopefully it won't be quite so hard to quit chewing..
I like the Wintergreen long cut.
4. The Dungeon ( or Donjon in its original French) comic series by Joann Sfar and Lewis Trondheim . My Mom picked up the first two French comic albums for me while on a recent trip to see my Sister and Her Boyfriend in France. They're the perfect eye candy. Great cartooning- loose and playfull but solid and dynamic at the same time. The colors too!- My god they are beautiful. The US translations are just coming out now. This series is incredibly popular in France and has spawned a huge number of spin-offs . They've done it in a very cool way however- a series has been released that begins at # 1000 or something like that. They've promised a full, chronological run that will eventually tie it all together.
5. The Residents. I never really got them before, but I like them now. Perfect cartoon music.
6. The Avengelist by David Sandlin. I love David Sandlins' art, but didn't know he did comics. This one concerns the construction of a heaven far above the clouds by good Christian CEOS and thier offspring. The heaven is defended by THE AVENGELISTS, a superhero team who goes on to discover the truth about this perfect society.
It's told in a very slap-dash way; Sandlin isn't concerned with things like plotting or character decelpoment. This is a different kind of beast entirely. He's far more concerned with the over-all concept. I like this method a bunch. I mean, we all can't be Chris Ware, you know? There is this general trend right now in indie-comics that's about eschweing things like detail and flashy drawing in favor of simple, iconic figures. But what about those people that can really draw but maybe aren't interested in 'organic cartooning' or 'pure comics'? I think comics can be an equally valuable medium for those guys too. Why not?
p.s- I got the newsprint edition, but plan on getting the 'real' deal one, so if anybody wants the Newsprint, lemme know.
7. UniBall pens. I like the Black.
8. Sleep.
9. How I get to miss Christmas this year. I'm really not a fan of Christmas.Yeah, it's pretty much the whole crass comercialism deal that bugs me. Beth has to work, so I get to stay home alone. I like the idea of a traditional , old-timey,Christmas celebration, not this golden-calf, fill your life with garbage deal.
10. The woods. I desperatley miss having access to nature. Madison seems like a nature preserve compared to our new digs.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home