Coin Appreciation Day
I really need to get this off my chest.
So quality coin design in this country has gone mostly missing, then. I'm not just talking about those new quarters, though quarters may be one of the worst offenders. I'm talking about a wholesale approach to coinage in this country that makes no aesthetic sense to me. Take a look at the quarter. Closely now, closer. There, now turn it to the side and look at the edge.
That two-metal construction of the quarter and dime make them look cheap, like the inferior product of a government trying to save some cents here and there. Which is the truth. Have you ever held an original silver coin from the mid-20th century, before they switched to the alloys? It's like an artifact from a much more sensible, more civilized era.
Have a look at the nickel, one of the best coins I can imagine. A smooth edge instead of a notched one, solid metal construction, and the always-iconic Jefferson on the face. I will say I'm no fan of the new nickels - Lewis & Clark are boring compared to the architectural excitement of Monticello, and two hands shaking is hardly an image that belongs on the coinage of a great and exalted nation - but the classic is an American tradition.
Even though the penny is a composite (it has a zinc interior with a copper exterior coating), it's one of my favorite coins. The newly minted ones give an irresistible sparkle, and the aged and corroded ones remind me of Roman or Grecian coins dug up around the Mediterranean. I know there are plenty of folks out there who support nixing the one-cent coin, but I think they're fools. Unless we could guarantee trading the penny with the dime - which is the most worthless, ugly, and ill-considered coin we've got - it needs to remain. Speaking of the dime, what the fuck is up with the engraving on the reverse? What the hell is it supposed to be? Some sort of Olympic-March of Dimes-Chariots of Fire torch bullshit? Please. We don't need FDR on currency anyway. While we're taking him off money, get rid of Grant on the fifty dollar bill.
The new dollar coin - popularly known as a "golden Indian" - is the platonic ideal of small-value currency. You can once again pay for a meal in a greasy spoon with a handful of change using the Sacajawea. You can eschew paper currency and the billfold - these are for the rich man in his derby hat and carriage and proper Sunday suit - and make your daily purchases with a pocket of coins. It's very Wild West, especially the gold color of the coin, and very 1950's.
In summary: the coins I like rule. What are some of your favorites?
So quality coin design in this country has gone mostly missing, then. I'm not just talking about those new quarters, though quarters may be one of the worst offenders. I'm talking about a wholesale approach to coinage in this country that makes no aesthetic sense to me. Take a look at the quarter. Closely now, closer. There, now turn it to the side and look at the edge.
That two-metal construction of the quarter and dime make them look cheap, like the inferior product of a government trying to save some cents here and there. Which is the truth. Have you ever held an original silver coin from the mid-20th century, before they switched to the alloys? It's like an artifact from a much more sensible, more civilized era.
Have a look at the nickel, one of the best coins I can imagine. A smooth edge instead of a notched one, solid metal construction, and the always-iconic Jefferson on the face. I will say I'm no fan of the new nickels - Lewis & Clark are boring compared to the architectural excitement of Monticello, and two hands shaking is hardly an image that belongs on the coinage of a great and exalted nation - but the classic is an American tradition.
Even though the penny is a composite (it has a zinc interior with a copper exterior coating), it's one of my favorite coins. The newly minted ones give an irresistible sparkle, and the aged and corroded ones remind me of Roman or Grecian coins dug up around the Mediterranean. I know there are plenty of folks out there who support nixing the one-cent coin, but I think they're fools. Unless we could guarantee trading the penny with the dime - which is the most worthless, ugly, and ill-considered coin we've got - it needs to remain. Speaking of the dime, what the fuck is up with the engraving on the reverse? What the hell is it supposed to be? Some sort of Olympic-March of Dimes-Chariots of Fire torch bullshit? Please. We don't need FDR on currency anyway. While we're taking him off money, get rid of Grant on the fifty dollar bill.
The new dollar coin - popularly known as a "golden Indian" - is the platonic ideal of small-value currency. You can once again pay for a meal in a greasy spoon with a handful of change using the Sacajawea. You can eschew paper currency and the billfold - these are for the rich man in his derby hat and carriage and proper Sunday suit - and make your daily purchases with a pocket of coins. It's very Wild West, especially the gold color of the coin, and very 1950's.
In summary: the coins I like rule. What are some of your favorites?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home