Lately
This may get longer than I intend, but a quick update of what trouble I'm in these days:
Several weeks ago I took part in the judging of the 2005 National Mustard Awards, a competition to determine the nation's best mustard of 2005, both in discrete categories and overall. The event took place at the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb. On the one hand, many of the other judges were horribly pretentious jerks - the kind of person that would declare yellow mustard "unworthy" of being called a mustard - but mostly they were just people who like mustard. Duh.
I first judged the fruit mustards, which were nearly all terrible outside of a delicious passion fruit mustard, a well-balanced raspberry mustard, and another one I couldn't place. Most of them tasted like lollipops or cough drops and were closer in spirit to jams or preserves than mustards. Then I moved on to the Deli/Brown mustards, which I enjoyed. One in particular was terrible, and about three were spectacular. Otherwise, they were pretty similar. The last category I judged was the Dijon mustards, which were really tough. They all tasted the same! I noticed subtle differences on retasting, and a few had more desirable finishes or nose, but mostly I couldn't say which was better than another.
Also: as I type this post, I'm listening to Sir Mix-A-Lot's immortal single "Baby Got Back."
We also went to a chocolat party on Super Bowl Sunday that was largely unremarkable. I felt horribly out-of-place and uncomfortable amongst all the strangers, nothing new there. Best to say very little about it except that it was a unique experience and I'm glad I went.
There was also a Valentine's brunch at Lombardino's on Sunday, the day before Valentine's Day, which needs its own post. Most excellent food.
The big thing going on is this weekend, the "Madtown Throwdown 2", a mixed-martial-arts fight event featuring 8-10 no-holds-barred fights. Some guys from the Jiu-Jitsu school are fighting, and I'm getting ringside tickets to see the action. Maybe even close enough to get blood on my face (cue "We Will Rock You" by notorious hair-band Queen).
Is it fun to watch two grown men beat each other up? Is it repulsive? Will I enjoy it or will I lose interest in continuing my Jiu-Jitsu training? If anyone out there has been to a boxing match or similar, I'd be interested to hear your experiences. I really don't know what to expect, but I eagerly await Saturday night.
Several weeks ago I took part in the judging of the 2005 National Mustard Awards, a competition to determine the nation's best mustard of 2005, both in discrete categories and overall. The event took place at the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb. On the one hand, many of the other judges were horribly pretentious jerks - the kind of person that would declare yellow mustard "unworthy" of being called a mustard - but mostly they were just people who like mustard. Duh.
I first judged the fruit mustards, which were nearly all terrible outside of a delicious passion fruit mustard, a well-balanced raspberry mustard, and another one I couldn't place. Most of them tasted like lollipops or cough drops and were closer in spirit to jams or preserves than mustards. Then I moved on to the Deli/Brown mustards, which I enjoyed. One in particular was terrible, and about three were spectacular. Otherwise, they were pretty similar. The last category I judged was the Dijon mustards, which were really tough. They all tasted the same! I noticed subtle differences on retasting, and a few had more desirable finishes or nose, but mostly I couldn't say which was better than another.
Also: as I type this post, I'm listening to Sir Mix-A-Lot's immortal single "Baby Got Back."
We also went to a chocolat party on Super Bowl Sunday that was largely unremarkable. I felt horribly out-of-place and uncomfortable amongst all the strangers, nothing new there. Best to say very little about it except that it was a unique experience and I'm glad I went.
There was also a Valentine's brunch at Lombardino's on Sunday, the day before Valentine's Day, which needs its own post. Most excellent food.
The big thing going on is this weekend, the "Madtown Throwdown 2", a mixed-martial-arts fight event featuring 8-10 no-holds-barred fights. Some guys from the Jiu-Jitsu school are fighting, and I'm getting ringside tickets to see the action. Maybe even close enough to get blood on my face (cue "We Will Rock You" by notorious hair-band Queen).
Is it fun to watch two grown men beat each other up? Is it repulsive? Will I enjoy it or will I lose interest in continuing my Jiu-Jitsu training? If anyone out there has been to a boxing match or similar, I'd be interested to hear your experiences. I really don't know what to expect, but I eagerly await Saturday night.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home